ik wist niet dat de differentieël toen al was uitgevonden.
Wikipedia weet niet precies wanneer maar alleszins al lang geleden
There are many claims to the invention of the differential gear but it is likely that it was known, at least in some places, in ancient times. Some historical milestones of the differential include:
* 1050 BC–771 BC: The Book of Song (which itself was written between 502 and 557 A.D.) makes the assertion that the South Pointing Chariot, which uses a differential gear, was invented during the Western Zhou Dynasty in China.
* 227–239 AD: Despite doubts from fellow ministers at court, Ma Jun from the Kingdom of Wei in China invents the first historically verifiable South Pointing Chariot, which provided cardinal direction as a non-magnetic, mechanized compass.
* 658, 666 AD: two Chinese Buddhist monks and engineers create South Pointing Chariots for Emperor Tenji of Japan.
* 1027, 1107 AD: Documented Chinese reproductions of the South Pointing Chariot by Yan Su and then Wu Deren, which described in detail the mechanical functions and gear ratios of the device much more so than earlier Chinese records.
* 1720: Joseph Williamson uses a differential gear in a clock.
* 1810: Rudolph Ackermann of Germany invents a four-wheel steering system for carriages, which some later writers mistakenly report as a differential.
* 1827: modern automotive differential patented by watchmaker Onésiphore Pecqueur (1792–1852) of the Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers in France for use on a steam cart. (Sources: Britannica Online and )
* 1832: Richard Roberts of England patents 'gear of compensation', a differential for road locomotives.
* 1876: James Starley of Coventry invents chain-drive differential for use on bicycles; invention later used on automobiles by Karl Benz.
* 1897: first use of differential on an Australian steam car by David Shearer.
* 1913: Packard introduces the spiral-gear differential, which cuts gear noise.
* 1926: Packard introduces the hypoid differential, which enables the propeller shaft and its hump in the interior of the car to be lowered.
* 1958: Vernon Gleasman patents the Torsen dual-drive differential, a type of limited slip differential that relies solely on the action of gearing instead of a combination of clutches and gears.
Note: The Antikythera mechanism (150 BC–100 BC), discovered on an ancient shipwreck near the Greek island of Antikythera, was once suggested to have employed a differential gear. This has since been disproved.
What you see today is nothing compared with what you will see tomorrow (Emil Jellinek)
You always have to try to be the best, but never feel you are the best (J.M.Fangio)